Saturday, December 18, 2010

Personal Growth

Recently, I've felt drawn by the Holy Spirit to spend some time each day reading a book on leadership.  Typically, I'll read one chapter, set the book aside, and then listen to the Master Teacher...Rabbi Holy Spirit.  It's been pretty cool how God has taken leadership concepts I've just read about and given me greater understanding by expanding, explaining, or unpacking them.  Plus, He's been showing me how I can make practical application that will benefit me and my local church.

The first book I read was Christian Leadership I by Dr. Leon van Rooyen.

The second book was Christian Leadership II by Dr. Leon van Rooyen.

Gaining an understanding of the leadership concepts in these first two books has been very, very helpful to me.  As I've read each book, it's been like having my very own, top-notch, personal mentor sit with me and help me navigate through some very basic, foundational concepts.  Because the material in both books is so practical, I've already begun applying this stuff to my personal life, as well as adjusting the way that I pastor my local congregation.  I'm already seeing some very encouraging results.  I get a sense that I'll be revisiting these two books in the future on a regular basis.

Now, the third book I'm reading is entitled Master-planning by Bobb Biehl.  Bob is the director and founder of Bobb Biehl Leadership Academny.  He's been credited by Bill Bright, Josh McDowell, R.C. Sproul and a host of other significant leaders in bringing breakthroughs to their leadership capacity and their ministry's effectiveness.

I've ordered a copy for each elder, and as I wait for the books to come in, I've been getting a head start on reading the first few chapters.  My plan is to lead the elders through the reading and completion of each of the assignments.  We'll complete the exercises together and as a result, I anticipate each of the elders to gain a greater sense of ownership in RiverRock's ministry.

When we've completed each of Bobb Biehl's assignments in the book, we'll have: (1) articulated very clearly the vision and purpose for our church, (2) identified the 3-7 major ministry focuses that will step us forward toward vision manifestation, (3) established an organizational structure that fits and supports the vision, (4) set immediate/short-term/mid-term/long-term goals, and (5) established a tracking system of accountability for our objectives.

Now, that may bore you to death, but this is the very thing that excites me about ministry.  I get excited about it because it mean we'll be making significant progress in clarifying RiverRock's vision/focus and establish a leadership structure that greatly reduce frustration and encourage growth.  In addition, by illuminating RiverRock's vision and purpose, the day-to-day, seemingly mundane tasks become important and enjoyable!

No comments: